Playing Catch-Up: The Roots And Special Guests at Radio City Music Hall
Erykah Badu; Mos Def & Dave Chappelle; Beyonce’s Purse Watcher ; ?Questlove
What The Hell Is A Thugaboo?
Call it Charlie Brown with a twist.
Brothers Keenen Ivory, Shawn and Marlon Wayans, of Scary Movie and In Living Color fame, have created a series of animated children’s shows, with books and toys to follow. Its name: Thugaboo. The series of three specials will premiere on Nickelodeon, then air on the network’s all-animation channel, Nicktoons, a network spokeswoman said Wednesday.
Inspired by the Wayans brothers’ favourite childhood cartoons, Thugaboo follows the misadventures of nine kids growing up in the inner city. “It’s like hard meets soft,” Shawn Wayans said. “The thug is how they dress, kind of street, but they’re good kids and they make the right decisions.” Three specials are planned – an hourlong show and two half-hour programs – centred on important times in children’s lives. (continue)
*Extends arms to the sky* When I first heard the concept of the show, the African booty scratcher scene from “Boyz N Da Hood” immediately popped into my mind. Hell, the kids on Thugaboo might even find a dead body also. But at least they are smart enough to report it to the proper authorities. Television execs if you are reading this you guys should really make a cartoon about Jeezy Da Snowman. You could have an angry, bandanna-clad snowman chasing after rival drug dealers in back alleys. The NAACP would mos def hand out an Image Award for it. [/sarcasm]
Mos Def At The Premiere Of “16 Blocks”
Kimora Lee Simmons Signs Her Book “Fabulosity”
Beyonce Jr. Rihanna Performs At Jamm X Kid’s All-Star Dance Special
- I can’t wait to see Mr. Bankhead Ambassador getting his trap/skate on in “ATL”. The stills from the movie looks like they were shot in my neighborhood, I can appreciate it. I’ll guess we will have to find out a few months down the road if ol Clifford can really act. In the meanwhile, the making of his video “What You Know” airs tonight on BET at 7:30 pm et/pt. Wild as the Taliban, ya’ll.
- Tyra Banks was on the set of “The Price Is Right” last Friday along with Bob Barker’s old, decrepit nasty ass. If you familiar with the history of all the sexual harassment law suits this man has had in the past you know exactly why I called him that. Be sure to check out a future “Tyra” show for that footage.
- There is a rumor running around that Taraji Henderson is pregnant with Common’s child. Of course there are no confirm reports but I highly doubt it.
- I’ve accidentally left my curling iron plugged up while I was at work, forgot to feed the fish, an’ shit like that. Those are accidents. Shooting somebody in the face? Intentional.
- MC Hammer has a new video folks. And its deciated to the girls with “the ebony eyes and thunder thighs.” Is that Sisqo in the beginning?! Thanks Essy for showing me this a few days ago.
As you can see things are slowly changing around here. Gimme a little time. I’m trying to enjoy my holiday season too! Moving along, Rolling Stone just released their list of the top 50 albums in 2005. Mr. Whiney Pants came in first place. Here is a list of the *ahem* melanin-rich artists (and a few white ones) who made topped the list.
Wait, no DL4?! Oh my gosh!
1. Kanye West, Late Registration
10. 50 Cent, The Massacre
16. John Legend, Get Lifted 21. Common, Be
25. Young Jeezy, Let’s Get It: Thug Motivation 101
27. Stevie Wonder, A Time to Love
29. Franz Ferdinand, You Could Have It So Much Better (I fucks with Franz)
34. Paul Wall, The Peoples Champ
37. Missy Elliott, The Cookbook
43. Mariah Carey, The Emancipation of Mimi
44. Daddy Yankee, Barrio Fino
49. Damian Marley, Welcome to Jamrock
You know its not easy being a female emcee. Lil’ Kim in jail, Foxy is going deaf, Trina can’t spell, Eve thinks she can act . . . it’s just all fucked up. Who shall we call to the rescue?
Queen Pen! Damn homie, I haven’t seen the queen since I was in junior high! 2005 has mos def been the comeback (attempt) year.
Anyway, earlier today while I was watching “Steve Harvey” (shut it) and I saw a commercial for a show called “Daisy Does America.” At first I thought it was a reality series of a white chick’s exploits across the U.S.A. in the porn industry, but I think its actually a show about a British woman traveling America to learn more about the cultures here, no? I wouldn’t know since I’ve never watched it. This week Daisy makes her way down to the ghetto. The show airs at 10 pm tonight and it looks like it should be pretty interesting.
Wait, while I’m on the subject of white people I have a question. Why do white people love green bean casserole so much? I was at a pot luck a few months ago and a few of my former co-workers
bitches! were about to fight each other over the last scoop of it. Green bean casserole = the white man’s collard greens?
I’m Having Testicle Difficulties!
Haloscan is working once again. Sorry for the inconvience.
There is currently a debate on different message boards about Halle Berry appearing in one of R.Kelly’s videos back in the day. Rumor has it that Halle was the video vixen crawling on the kitchen floor while Kelz fed her milk in the video for “Honey Love.”According to AOL Music the rumors are true. On the 11 Things To Know About R.Kelly (other then the fact that he loves girls 16 and under), Halle Berry’s appearance in the video is rank number three. Damn I learn something new everyday.
- Soul veteran Aretha Franklin threw lavish parties at a hotel in Detroit, Michigan last week for survivors of Hurricane Katrina. Approximately 40 survivors enjoyed the festivities. Franklin performed, chatted and posed for photographs with guests. She says, “It’s the right thing to do. Hopefully some of the other performers in town will follow suit.”
- Actress Gabrielle Union has so many relatives; they have their own parade each year. Union hails from Omaha, Nebraska where her family is legendary for its size. She says, “I’m actually from the largest black family in the state of Nebraska. We have our own parade in downtown Omaha every year.”
- At first glance these 13 year old twin sisters remind you a lot of Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen. But what remains unsaid is their message of hate and racism through their music. (More)
- The finest “Brothers On The Planet” according to Essence are:
LL Cool J
Yet another list that fucked up. Where in the blue hell is my Morris Chestnut?
- “When he laughs, sometimes he scares me. I’ll tell him a joke, he’ll start laughing too hard…and I am like, ‘Hey man, what the fuck?” – Jamie Foxx on Tom Cruise (via Gabsmash)
- Bun B has one hell of a street team (NSFW–exposed buns, B)
Can you keep up? I bet in this picture Beyonce is thinking “I was dancing in one of these in the video for “Naughty Girl” but it was a lot bigger. Hmmm?”
Let the congregation say “hell to the nah.” Its Passa Mase, ya’ll. I’m laughing at the fact that his stretch marks remind me of Star Jones’.
and Adam Levine
of Maroon 5 on the set of “Heard Em Say.” Although I listen to the album on the average of once a month, this is my favorite track off “Late Registration”. Its about time Kanye did something I liked!