Shake for the money, bounce to the floor, toot it up — hut, hut! Famed Queen of Bounce and friend to Crunktastical Big Freedia set a Guinness World Record for Most People Twerking Simultaneously in New York City on Wednesday afternoon.
With an official Guinness World Record representative present to make sure everyone followed the rules set in place, hundreds of participants packed Herald Square at 34th Street and 6th Avenue to twerk “simultaneously for a minimum of two minutes.”
You do realize that this is going to be me in 60 years, right?
Peep the guidelines:
- Body must remain upright, with movement concentrated in hips.
- Participants can put hands on knees or hips for support.
- Twerking action cannot come from knees. Hips only!
- Freestyling or additional choreography not permitted. No hands on the ground, feet in the air, twirling, etc.
- Twerking action must be synchronized, can be at own pace.
- All participants must twerk simultaneously for TWO MINUTES when Big Freedia gives the signal.
- Any performers who do not participate fully for the entire TWO MINUTES will be deducted from the final total.
Twerkers ranging in age from 8-years-old to 80 years young hit the scene. Bounce that shit, Grams!
The campaign was ignited to promote the premiere of Freedia’s upcoming Fuse reality TV series that premieres on October 2. With more than 20 years on the bounce scene she can now add record holder to her list of achievements.